Friday, 7 July 2017

Feeling Nostalgic

I've been feeling nostalgic recently. I think it was an episode of Dr Who that caused it because he met a previous incarnation of himself, his first self in fact, that's been making me think about the past. I know I've made lots of mistakes over the years, and while it's important not to dwell upon them it is still important to learn from them.

I've been playing Perfect Dark Zero on the Xbox 360. Apparently it's also available on the Xbox One and the way it's designed Xbox One and Xbox 360 players can play together. While the game isn't as popular as when it first came out it is still more popular that it has been recently due to Xbox One players joining in. It's probably getting on for about ten years now since that game come out, which in gaming terms is a long time.

I've also been playing a game called Los Amores De Brunilda on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega. I suppose technically this doesn't count as nostalgia because it's not a game I've played in the past and it was created in 2013 but the fact that it's been created for the Sinclair Spectrum it kind of has that retro feel. In fact a lot of the games on the Spectrum Vega were created relatively recently. I've been tempted to make some myself, specifically for the Vega, but even the simplest of games require a lot of time and patience. I could probably write a full novel in less time than making a game from scratch. I do miss those days though, I loved making adventure games. However an adventure game with eighty locations required at least eighty pictures and would take over a month to draw. I wish everyone was taught how to program just so they'd realise how much work it actually consists of.

There are some things that I don't think twice about doing yet in some ways could be considered nostalgic to others. For instance even though I watch movie downloads, blu-rays and DVDs I still have a video recorder and lots of tapes. I occasionally buy anime on video if it's not available in any other format. I've also got audio tapes as well as CDs.

I know I'm getting older yet I feel the same inside. I could mention I'm balding with a fat belly but I've been balding with a fat belly for years. My physical health is good with no aches or pains. People in my family are getting older, children are growing up, and new children are being born. I feel I've stayed the same but I've probably changed in ways I've not noticed.

I appear to have gone off subject with this blog entry. I think the point that I'm making is that it's good to keep up with the latest technology but it doesn't have to be at the expense of previous tech. And no matter how old you get you still feel the same on the inside.

Old bodies with young minds.



No comments:

Post a Comment